Fakenham 29 v West Norfolk 41 - London 3 EC29

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive


More photographs are available by visiting Mike Wyatt's site

Having started the season a couple of weeks ago with a win against Ipswich YM, Fakenham, Fakenham through a combination of holiday, injuries and stag nights were unable to put out their full regular 1st team for this match against West Norfolk.

The game started brightly for Fakenham and, after five minutes of fairly solid possession, Lloyd Marshal was awarded a penalty for a late tackle, which he converted. West came back very quickly and pressed on the home teams line resulting in another penalty to level the scores after just 10 minutes. The stalemate was broken soon after as West went ahead after a lovely timed pass that saw the number 8, Williamson, dash 20 meters to score under the posts for a converted try.
Fakenham puled themselves together and forced their way with some good running into the West half and soon the scores were level again when Murray Tindal, after a dropped pass by West, hacked through, and, as he tried to gather the bouncing ball, was tackled resulting in a penalty try beig awarded to Fakenham.


20 minutes into the game the first yellow card of 5 in the match was given to the Fakenham captain for too many infringements from his team. West were by this time beginning to get a grip on the game and scored two further tries before half time. The first of these came after concerted pressure on the home team’s line finally broke the defence, whereas the second was after a fine run by the fleet footed West winger beating some heroic defence by Declan Sperring. West’s impressive number 10 converted both tries.

At Half Time the score was 10 – 24.

The second half kicked off and saw Fakenham use possession well. A precise chip through by Bane-Young resulted in a Fakenham penalty, which was quickly taken by prop Richard Warren who drove to within 5 metres of the West line. Some fast recycling saw Brett Stolworthy just held up over the line, however, from the resulting scrum Toby Kent went and scored in the corner to give Fakenham a glimmer of hope, however this was short lived as, almost from the kick off, West slotted another penalty. The penalty had set the passage of play into a pattern and was followed by two well-worked tries from West that again took the game away from Fakenham.

To Fakenham’s credit, they did come back and score two tries of their own, although the game was just out of reach by this time.
The first was scored by Alexandros Dracos who was the home team’s man of the match, and the second was scored by captain Adam Lingwood who was driven over from a line out that included 14 of his team mates to gain a valuable bonus point for Fakenham.

West Norfolk can be pleased with their clinical performance and well deserved win. Fakenham need to adjust some of their defensive strategies, as this is a league that is very unforgiving for any weaknesses. A positive must be taken from the result as it was a fair performance considering there were 7 second team members in the Fakenham squad

Next week should see the team back to a more normal strength for their away game at Crusaders, ko: 3:00pm.